by Nick Amendolare
Portability was never so easy! Hitatchi’s G-tech drive is a sleek, sexy and stable drive for industry professionals on the go.
It’s hard to beat perfection and that was my dilemma when reviewing this drive. Sleek and sexy, this stable drive impressed me so much with it’s speed and durability that I felt as though I was having an illicit affair. I am no gear head by any stretch of the imagination, and my technological competency has limitations, so allow me to spell this out in layman’s terms:
During the testing phase over the past month, I loaded hundreds of gigs of video, music and data files, then transferred them back and forth without breaking a sweat.
The G-DRIVE mini is a triple-interface drive FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0. I used a Dell Laptop, running Windows XP. I am hard on my tools and with the travel I do, I need tools that can perform on the go. This system can withstand up to 1000 G’s of shock to ensure that data is protected against the bumps and bruises encountered on the road. In addition to durability, portability is a key feature of this drive.
The G-DRIVE mini is bus powered, eliminating the need to carry an external AC power supply. G-DRIVE mini features a fan-less cooling system, the latest technology 5400 or 7200 RPM hard drives.
The drive itself is very quiet, quoted by Videomaker magazine during it’s benchmark testing at 22dBA at idle and 24dBA when seeking, the drive would be completely unobtrusive while on a plane, train or any other public venue. Let’s talk about speed. While using the USB, the drive was able to handle a transfer of 500G of media within two hours. When using the FireWire 400, The G-Tech delivered a transfer rate of 38.5MB per second. Yes, it is that fast.
The Complete Package
The G-DRIVE mini ships with a full complement of cables – FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and USB are all here. In addition, a real black leather case with elastic sides and rear elastic strap for cables, also ships with the drive.
My only qualm about the drive is the lack of a 5V power supply. Since I run the with PC, it is not a problem, but it would be nice to have.
Frankly, there is not much else to add. regardless of your needs, this drive will more than perform whether it be for editing on the road or using it as a simple back up drive. Well worth the money as it delivers a lot more back for the buck.
Without question, this drive should be on your list of must haves.
- Portable, high-speed external hard drives
- High-speed Interface FireWire 800 (FireWire 400 via included cable) and USB 2.0 ports
- Compact size, weighs less than 9 oz
- 5400RPM or 7200RPM drives
- Bus powered – no AC adapter required
- Integrated heat-sink provides near silent operation and ensures proper cooling for long life and data reliability
- Ships complete with all cables and high-quality protective carrying case
- Unique industrial design, compact all aluminum enclosure
- Mac® OS X and Windows® compatible
- Standard 3-year factory warranty
G-DRIVE mini is formatted at the factory HFS+ with Journaling. A simple initialization is all it takes to prepare G-DRIVE mini for use with Windows® systems!
G-DRIVE mini is backed by a standard 3-year factory warranty.
High-Performance in a Portable Form Factor
G-DRIVE mini mobile drives max out the FireWire 800 port and provide fast data backup and instant access to large multimedia and audio/video files while on the go.
- 2x FireWire 800
- 1x USB2.0
- (FireWire 400 via included cable)
- Disk Drives
- Type – Hitachi SATA
- RPM – 5400 or 7200
- Cache – 8MB cache
- Cooling System: Integrated heat sink
- Bridge: Oxford 934 chipset
- Size (LxWxH): 4.94in x 3.19in x .875in / 125 x 81 x 22mm
- Weight: 0.55 lbs / 0.25 kg
- G-DRIVE mini Storage Unit
- .6 Meter FireWire 800 Cable (white)
- .6 Meter FireWire 800 to 400 Cable (white)
- .6 Meter USB 2.0 Cable (white)
- Protective Carrying Case
- CD Manual
- Mac® OSX® 10.3.x or higher
- Windows® 2000/XP/Vista/7
Facilitates files created by Avid DV Xpress Pro, Pro tools, Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop.
Suggested retail price: Pricing for the G-Tech drive mini ranges from $125- $159 depending on vendor.